Defining what is included in ClickDimensions support
For the ClickDimensions integration to function properly, the customer must provide a healthy, performant and accessible Dynamics CRM system. When an issue is encountered, the first task is to identify whether the source of the issue is ClickDimensions or the CRM system. This can require some initial investigation and troubleshooting. When this investigation is completed, it should be possible to draw a clear line as to whether ClickDimensions is responsible for the issue resolution, or the customer is responsible for addressing the cause within the CRM system.
To assist with drawing this line, the following table defines the various components of ClickDimensions and the scope of what ClickDimensions is responsible for supporting. Note that our entire application hosted within Azure is fully supported/in-scope. The below table only discusses the solution that is installed within the CRM system.
Note: While there are some articles included in the ClickDimensions help site/blog intended to assist customers in extending default ClickDimensions functionality, ClickDimensions is generally unable to support or advise on custom code or additions made to the ClickDimensions solution. Such cases are noted within the articles themselves and may be referenced by ClickDimensions Support.
Table of Contents
- Components within the Dynamics Solution
- Custom Code
- Dynamics Versions
- Operability and Performance
- Technical Implementation
Supported and Out-of-Scope Components within Dynamics Marketing Automation Solution
Solution – Initial Import and update
Errors encountered that are related to misconfiguration of the XML and other objects contained in the .zip file and for which ClickDimensions has the ability to specify definitions/configurations.
Examples of support issues:
Errors encountered due to CRM platform issues.
Examples of out-of-scope issues:
Assisting with updating the ClickDimensions solution via the recommended methods, and/or troubleshooting errors that occur while properly updating the Clickdimensions solution.
|Assisting with issues and/or errors caused by using unsupported methods (i.e. selecting Upgrade/Stage for Upgrade/etc.) when importing the ClickDimensions solution.
Solution – Uninstall
The Dynamics platform is responsible for uninstallation operations. There is nothing within the code or customizations that ClickDimensions provides that can be modified or tweaked to change the outcome of an uninstallation attempt. In some environments, the installation of a managed solution and subsequent customization of the environment can produce dependencies that prevent uninstallation. In these cases, the customer is responsible for removing dependencies.
Identification of issues related to solution layering or solutions created by the utilization of the 'Upgrade' option during the solution import process.
Removal of additional solution layers created by not properly importing the ClickDimensions solution, and/or any solution layers not created by the default ClickDimensions functionality.
Entities (including entity settings, fields, forms, views and relationships)
Issues encountered with the entities or default ClickDimensions app as configured in the ClickDimensions solution .zip file.
Issues encountered due to customer’s customization of entities or entity components, whether default system entities or ClickDimensions custom entities, or due to customers using a custom view/app.
Issues encountered with the web resources as configured in the ClickDimensions solution .zip file.
Issues encountered due to customer’s customization of web resources.
Issues resulting from a misconfiguration of the workflow process as delivered by ClickDimensions.
Issues encountered as a result of the CRM system not properly executing the workflow.
Plugin Assemblies and SDK Message Processing Steps
Issues resulting from a code error within the compiled plugin, how it is registered, or the security privileges the plugin requires as defined in ClickDimensions security roles in the solution as delivered by ClickDimensions.
Issues encountered as a result of the CRM system failing to properly execute the plugin.
Examples of out-of-scope issues:
Dynamics CRM Dashboards and Charts
Issues encountered as a result of improperly configured dashboards and charts as delivered in the ClickDimensions solution .zip file.
Issues encountered as a result of the CRM system failing to properly render the dashboard or query the underlying data or with custom built charts/dashboards.
Issues encountered as a result of improperly configured RDL files as delivered in the ClickDimensions solution .zip file.
Issues encountered as a result of the CRM system failing to properly render the report or query the underlying data.
Issues encountered as a result of missing or improperly configured privileges as delivered in the ClickDimensions solution .zip file.
Issues encountered as a result of customizations to the ClickDimensions security roles or custom security roles created by customer.
Custom Code Policy
ClickDimensions cannot guarantee the behavior of customizations and modifications to elements that are added into our solution. Any custom code sections provided by our solution are intended for advanced users who are familiar with coding. If you would like to make changes to the existing ClickDimensions components, we recommend making and editing copies of these components within a separate solution to maintain default functionality and so they will not be overwritten by updates to the ClickDimensions solution. The following are examples of things that our Support Team will not be able to advise on or troubleshoot:
- HTML/CSS design in emails and web content
- Building templates using the Custom HTML Editor
- Programmatic Form Capture (the programmatic portion/non-ClickDimensions elements of the setup process)
- Building custom CRM fields for the Lead/Contact/Account entity forms
- Building custom sub-grids to display data on the Lead/Contact/Account entity
- Advanced FreeMarker creation and/or troubleshooting
- Making API calls (sending emails via API, accessing the image manager via API, programmatic form capture via API, etc.)
Supported and Out-of-Scope Items Related to Connectivity
It is the customer’s responsibility to provide a working connection to their deployment of Dynamics 365/CRM if they are not using Dynamics 365 Online hosted by Microsoft. For on-premises or partner-hosted deployments, ClickDimensions recommends following Microsoft’s Internet-Facing Deployment (IFD) methodology. ClickDimensions does not provide support for configuring or troubleshooting IFD or other means of making the Dynamics 365/CRM deployment accessible from the internet.
NOTE: this excludes on-premises customers using the ClickDimensions SBRC proxy for connectivity. See SBRC documentation for support terms.
Supported and Out-of-Scope Items Related to Dynamics Versions
We work with the following versions of Dynamics:
- CRM 2013
- CRM 2015
- CRM 2016
- Dynamics 365
Please see our article here for more details regarding the supported versions of CRM.
NOTE: CRM 2011 is no longer supported as of July 13, 2021.
Supported ClickDimensions Versions
Supported versions of the ClickDimensions solution include the current release, as well as any release from the past 12 months. In addition, ClickDimensions is only able to generate the most recent version of the solution file. If you think you will need to install an older version at a later date please be sure to download it while it is available and save it.
Please see our article here for details.
Customer Responsibilities for Dynamics Operability and Performance
It is the customer’s responsibility to provide a working, performant deployment of Microsoft Dynamics 365/CRM. Customer is responsible for maintaining and optimizing the functionality and performance of the Dynamics deployment. The ClickDimensions application relies on a well-performing Dynamics deployment to function properly. As such, ClickDimensions support requires:
- Customers with on-premises or partner-hosted deployments of Dynamics must have a SQL maintenance plan in place that regularly updates indexes, recalculates index statistics, and releases free database space.
- Customers with all deployment methods must implement a data-retention strategy to determine how long marketing data is retained for business needs. The data retention strategy should implement Dynamics bulk delete jobs that run on a regular schedule to remove aged data in order to maintain table size and control database growth.
- Customer is responsible for resolving Dynamics performance issues, including long-running queries that exceed Microsoft timeout settings or breech limits such as the aggregate query record limit.
- ClickDimensions does not support adding plugins or workflows that execute on the creation or update of ClickDimensions custom entities that are created by the ClickDimensions application. This includes such entities as Email Events, Sent Emails, Posted Forms, Posted Fields, Posted Surveys, and Posted Answers. Customers who implement plugins or workflows on these entities do so at their own risk.
- Dependencies created by customer’s customizations of ClickDimensions entities or solution components are not supported. Such dependencies may be encountered when attempting to remove or uninstall the ClickDimensions solution and are the responsibility of the customer.
- The ClickDimensions solution requires the proper functioning of all elements of the Dynamics deployment, including the Sandbox Processing Service, SQL Reporting Services Report Server, Web Front-End/Application server, and Back-end Server and services. ClickDimensions does not provide technical support for the proper functioning of the components of the Dynamics deployment.
Supported and Out-of-Scope Items Related to Chat Support
- Provide documentation to assist with specific functionality.
- Provide answers to specific questions about the product. NOTE: We are not able to provide training on the product or consulting services on a chat.
- Provide basic troubleshooting steps or workarounds for known issues and use cases.
We intend chat to facilitate quick answers to basic questions. However, if something requires an investigation or if our documentation does not adequately address your use case, we will need to create a ticket. The chat agent will assess if creating a ticket is necessary as the chat approaches 15 minutes. We appreciate your patience and understanding if ticket creation is necessary.
Supported and Out-of-Scope Items Related to Deliverability
ClickDimensions has a Deliverability Team that can assist customers with certain configurations and practices related to email deliverability.The customer is primarily responsible for implementing changes related to their DNS. ClickDimensions does support some configuration changes on a per account basis as follows.
- Update DKIM signature
- Update Sending Domain/White-labeling
- Guidance on CNAME set up
- Set up Dedicated IP
- Investigate blocks (IP, domain, etc) + unblock
- Investigate blacklisted IPs + delist
- Investigate emails going to junk folder
- Investigate technical issues related to email platforms
- Recommendations on deliverability best practices including keeping data clean, CAN-SPAM and similar regulatory compliance questions, and inbox placement
- Please be aware that support for delivery to organization specific domains is available, but limited.
- Update SPF record parts that are not related to CD
- Update DMARC record
- Adjusting spam filter settings outside of whitelisting IPs/domains
- Interpreting Bounce Messages for isolated Email Events not related to an ongoing trend.
- Creating, updating, or deleting of DNS resource records in the customer's namespace.
Supported and Out-of-Scope Items Related to Implementation
During the Technical Implementation period, the Technical Implementation Specialist supports end users through Registration, Installation, and Setup for the ClickDimensions Solution as configured in the ClickDimensions solution .zip file. The following are what the ClickDimensions Implementation Team can and cannot assist with.
- Assistance with Registration and Installation of the ClickDimensions Solution
- Assistance with setup of solution – Ensuring Authentication method is setup properly, Checking ClickDimensions Workflows and Plugins are enabled
- Assisting with ClickDimensions Access and Security Roles
- Advising on Solution update best practices
- Guidance on DNS entries, Web Tracking setup, and SSL Certificate setup
- Advising on appropriate Import or Migration methods *limited assistance available based only on the ClickDimensions aspect.
- Advisement, Setup, Maintenance, and Troubleshooting of CRM customizations, workflows, 3rd party integrations (outside of ClickDimensions Products and Connector setup)
- Content Creation
- Update SPF record parts that are not related to CD
- Update DMARC record
- Creating, updating, or deleting of DNS resource records in the customer's namespace
- Purchasing or exporting SSL certificates
- Adding tracking script or making changes to websites