A Sequence Instance is created each time a Contact or Lead is added to a Sequence. The record holds the information about that instance and statistics about that instance.
To get to Sequence Instances you can go to Sequence Instances from the left side of the navigation.
The following screen displays, showing your Sequence Instance and if the participant is a Contact or Lead
You can also see Sequence Instances by Contact or Lead. To do so, select a Contact or Lead record and click on the Sequences tab.
Sequence Instance List
Before going into a specific Sequence Instance record you will see a list of them. There is some information here that is not within the record form and is different from the overall Sequence Statistics. These are covered below.
- Step Number (Sequence Instance):This is the number step the Contact or Lead is currently on.
- Last Engaged (Contact):The last date/time that the Contact clicked on an email or replied to an email.
- Last Contacted (Contact):The last date/time that you last sent an email or made a phone call.
Sequence Instance Record
To open the Sequence Instance, you need to select the Instance you want to view and Double Click on the radio button or Double Click on an empty field. (Note: You need to double click to get to the Instance record as shown below.)
Sequence: This is the name of the Sequence this instance belongs to and is a link to that Sequence record.
Sequence Step: This will be the step that the Contact or Lead is currently on. That would mean the activity is created and waiting for interaction from the user, or that the timer is waiting to get to that activity.
Start Date: The date and time that this Contact or Lead was added to the Sequence.
Last Action Completed On: Date and time that the last step finished. This would be that the email was sent, or the manual activity was marked as Complete.
Last Activity: The Activity previous to the one the Contact or Lead is on right now. This is also a link to that Activity record.
Next Action On: The date and time that the next action is due. If you open the record in the next field, you will see that the Due date there matches the date in this field.
Next Activity: The activity that is due next. This could be currently due or could be waiting for the timer, either way the activity is already created.
Status Reason: Options are
- Pending Start: This will likely be the status when you first add someone to a Sequence. It is just waiting to process the first step, which should not take more than a couple of minutes.
- Paused: There are several reasons an instance can be paused:
- An Out of Office email will automatically put the instance in the paused state. (Read more on the Out of Office description below)
- If you want to manually pause this instance, you can change the Status Reason to Paused. Nothing will continue, but the current activity will still show as due on the existing due date.
- If there is an issue with the instance, it will automatically be paused so the issue does not continue. If this is the cause, you should see a Warning or Error event in Event Logs.
- Running: The Contact or Lead is currently active in the sequence.
- Opt Out: The Contact or Lead unsubscribed from receiving the emails. This can be done if you choose to add the Unsubscribe in your emails, via the setting on the Sequence Settings.
- Completed: The Contact or Lead went through the entire Sequence without replying or being cancelled.
- Cancelled: The User has manually cancelled this instance. This may be due to the contact or lead reaching out in some other way like calling or through LinkedIn for example.
- Out of Office Reply: An Out of Office reply was detected, and the instance is paused until you initiate it again.
- Replied: The contact or lead replied to one of your emails, meaning they should now be engaging with you directly. There is a setting on the Sequence Settings that determines whether this status means that the contact or lead will continue on in the sequence or if it will be stopped.
- Bounced: The email address used bounced (usually means that the email address is incorrect, but it could mean something else like their mailbox is full). If it is on this status, the instance will not proceed any further.
If any interaction happens after the status is set to Completed, the status will stay as Completed.