This article outlines the ClickDimensions use of Microsoft CRM entities and the security requirements for ongoing use.
To provide the ClickDimensions service access to your Microsoft Dynamics CRM on-premise, we recommend that CRM be setup in Internet Facing Deployment (IFD) mode with a SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate in place.
ClickDimensions supports encrypted communication using TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2. The 8.9 ClickDimensions release enabled the use of higher TLS protocols if the Dynamics CRM environment has the lower protocol(s) disabled. For example, customers can disable TLS 1.0 and 1.1, and enable only TLS 1.2 and ClickDimensions will be able to connect.
To learn about deployment for CRM 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 and Dynamics 365 - click here.
ClickDimensions Security Roles
NOTE: Click here to learn more about the CRM license types necessary to utilize ClickDimensions.
For a view of the roles, see here.
The installation of ClickDimensions creates four security roles. Each CRM user will need to have one of the ClickDimensions roles as appropriate:
- ClickDimensions Core
This role should be assigned to all CRM users (even if not using ClickDimensions). It contains the minimum set of privileges that are required by the ClickDimensions plugins and will prevent failures in creating leads, contacts and opportunities
- ClickDimensions User
This security role should be assigned to users (non-administrators) who view data generated by ClickDimensions. Most of the privileges are set to the Read level so the users can view the tracking data. This role also allows the user the ability to send emails.
- ClickDimensions Service
This role should be assigned to the ClickDimensions service user (if you do not wish to use the CRM System Administrator role for the ClickDimensions service account).
- ClickDimensions Lock Email Blocks
Allows users to lock email blocks in the Drag & Drop email template designer so that users without this role cannot edit them.
NOTE: The user set up as the ClickDimensions service user must be set to have the Read-Write Access Mode (not Administrative or Read-only).
IMPORTANT: We do not recommend that you edit these security roles because when ClickDimensions is updated, they will get overwritten. Instead, follow the instructions laid out here if you need custom roles.
Entities and Actions
The ClickDimensions marketing automation service tracks web visitor information and copies it into Microsoft CRM. Doing so requires continuous access to the CRM application. ClickDimensions utilizes a designated CRM User known as the ClickDimensions Service User, to facilitate communication with your CRM environment. It is recommended to have a dedicated user with a fixed password explicitly for the purpose of being used as the ClickDimensions Service user to avoid connectivity issues due to password changes.
The operations that are made by the service are:
- Retrieving and Updating Contact records: visitors which are identified by the service as contact records are synchronized into the identified contacts. Contacts information is also used for merging with email template during email send.
- Retrieving, Creating and Updating Lead records: if the service cannot find an existing contact in the CRM that possesses the visitors’ email address, a new lead is created with the visitor information. Alternatively, if a lead is found with the visitors email address and there is no contact record with the same email, the lead is updated. Leads information is also used for merging with email template during email send.
- Retrieving and Updating Account records: ClickDimensions retrieves account information in order to map web site form data to account records. Accounts information is also used for merging with email template during email send.
- Retrieving, Creating and Updating ClickDimensions custom entities: the list of ClickDimensions custom entities currently includes:
- Anonymous Visitor
- IP Organization
- Page View
- Posted Form
- Posted Field
- Form Capture
- Form Capture Field
- Form Field
- Option Mapping
- Email Send
- Sent Email
- Email Event
- Execute Send
- Email Template
- Excluded Email
- Send ClickDimensions Email
- Posted Subscription
- Posted Survey
- Subscription List
- Subscription Preference
- Survey Answer
- Survey Question
- Web Content
- Campaign Automation
- ClickDimensions Import
- Event Participations
- Nurture Program
- Bulk Text Message
- Retrieve Metadata: ClickDimensions service queries the metadata for mapping, display and sync purposes.
- Opportunities, Email Activity, Campaign Response, Campaign and Campaign Lists: These MS CRM entities are retrieved for display purposes in the Profile Page and while sending emails.
- Campaign entity: retrieved for the purpose of associating with ClickDimensions records.
- System User entity: The MS CRM user entity is retrieved for authentication purposes and while sending emails.