Cvent is a cloud-based enterprise event management platform that offers software solutions to event planners for online event registration, venue selection, event management and more. This article will show how to set up the connection to your Cvent account. After setting up the connector, the information from the Cvent events and participants will automatically flow into CRM as Events, Event Participations, and new or updated contacts or leads.
Cvent offers both North America and EU API endpoints. (The EU API has been available to ClickDimensions customers since our 9.20 release.) You can use either endpoint to connect to ClickDimensions.
There is an additional charge from Cvent for using their API to connect with ClickDimensions. Please contact your Cvent account manager for more information.
- Dynamics 365
Navigate to the Cvent Connector
To get started, navigate to Settings and Support > ClickDimensions Settings > Connector Configuration
A new screen will pop up to show you all of your current Event connectors with their status, settings, and dates of creation/updating. Click Add New connector here.
Then click Cvent.
Set Up the Cvent Connector
On the next window you will fill out your settings.
Connector Name: Input the name for how your connector will display in the Connector's Settings Window. (Customers will not see this name)
Reminder Email Address: Supply an email address here to notify when the connection expires. GoToWebinar will ask you to re-authenticate your credentials one year after setting up the connection with ClickDimensions.
Time Range: The Time Range is the time period used for syncing future event data. It is setup by default to 90 days. You can extend the time range to 6, 9, 12 or 18 months.
Default Action for Automatic Lead/Contact Creation: This will determine the default behavior for newly synchronized events and event participations.
- No Action: Only the event and event participation records will be created and leads/contacts will not be generated automatically.
- Create Contact: New registrants will be created as contacts if their email address is not already present in CRM.
- Create Lead: New registrants will be created as leads if their email address is not already present in CRM.
The default action can be overridden by the 'Action for Lead/Contact Creation' field on the Event records after they are created.
This field provides the same 3 options and if it is updated on an Event record, then it will be applied to all future syncs for the event and will not be applied retroactively to event participations created before the update.
Fill the Cvent API Connection Information
In order for the connector to work, API access must be turned on in your Cvent account. If you do not have API access or are unsure please contact your Cvent Account Manager or Cvent Customer Care (1-866-318-4357).
Account Name: This is your Cvent Account Name (found within the Cvent Administration Profile page)
CVent API Username: Request this information from Cvent
CVent API Password: Request this information from Cvent
Now press Add.
Once the connection to Cvent is established, the connector will pull Event Records and Event Participations into your CRM for webinars from the previous 90 days, and this initial sync will not create leads or contacts. Afterwards, the connector will attempt to update upcoming events within the next 90 days every 60 minutes. Only present and upcoming events will be updated, so past events will not update during this scheduled sync. It is also possible to manually start a sync with the 'Sync Events' button, and please check our article here for more details.
Issues after Initial Setup
After completing the initial setup of your connector, you should begin to see Event records being created within CRM. If these records are not syncing, then you can check the Error Log on the ClickDimensions Settings page to confirm if there may be any issues or errors occurring during the syncing process. If errors start occurring shortly after the initial setup of your connector, then you can try the following checks:
- Are the errors indicating an issue with accessing your account? If so, then please check if you are still able to log in to your account to ensure that the credentials are correct and to confirm that you are not using a trial account. Trial accounts have restrictions that may prevent our service from being able to properly connect.
- Delete and re-add the connector and then wait for an hour. Sometimes an issue can occur during the initial syncing process and deleting and re-adding the connector will allow us to retry the process. The hour wait time will help ensure that any cached details are cleared and will not affect the connection and also gives the Event records time to try syncing again.
Why won't my archived events sync to CRM and ClickDimensions?
According to Cvent (page 6 of this document), only active events are able to sync from their API. Archived events would therefore be excluded from any sync to ClickDimensions.
|Feature Added: January 2016|
|Feature Updated: 2023.10|
|ClickDimensions Version Need: 2023.10|