UTM parameters are used to track the source of your visitors to help establish how efficiently your social posts, campaigns, or web pages are reaching your audience. UTM parameters are short tags that can be added to the end of the URLs for your digital ads, emails, social posts, or web pages.
Availability for Forms
Currently, UTM Form Tracking is only available in UCI environments for ClickDimensions Web Content Forms that are embedded into a page using the Embed as Widget option.
UTM Tracking is not currently available for the Embed as Iframe nor the Embed as Link options. UTM Form Tracking is also not currently available for use with basic Form Captures nor Form Captures integrated with Gravity Forms.
UTM Tracking will automatically be enabled for newly created Web Content Forms; however, you will need to re-save any existing Forms to apply the code for UTM tracking to be enabled. To do this navigate to the Web Content record that you want updated and select Design:
Once the form designer loads, select Save:
This will apply the appropriate code to allow UTM Tracking for that form.
Note: This will need to be done for each existing form that you would like to have UTM tracking enabled on.
The following are the UTM parameters that are currently available for tracking:
- Source (utm_source): Helps identify the source of referral traffic to inform you of where your traffic came from.
- Medium (utm_medium): Labels the marketing channel from which the lead originates.
- Campaign (utm_campaign): Identifies a specific campaign or promotion and allows you to track the performance of a specific campaign.
- Term (utm_term): Indicates referral keyword from a paid search campaign.
- Content (utm_content): Applied to A/B testing to identify targeted content, ads, and links used to drive traffic to the same URL from different audiences or experiences.
These parameters will need to be added to the end URL of the page(s) that contain the widgets for your Web Content Forms. The parameters will need to be added to a query string and each one should be separated by an '&' symbol. Below is an example of UTM parameters applied to a Google page:
Checking the UTM Parameters
For each submission that is made to a form with UTM Tracking available, you can check the UTM parameters on the created Posted Form record for that submission, as well as on the Lead/Contact record. To check the Posted Form, you can navigate to Web and Events > Posted Forms, select the submission you want to view, and select the UTM tab:
To check the Lead/Contact record, you can navigate to Audience > Leads/Contacts, select the Lead/Contact record that you want to check, and select the ClickDimensions tab:
This will show you the UTM First Touch and UTM Last Touch sections. The UTM First Touch section will populate if:
- A form submission with added UTM parameters results in a new Lead/Contact record being created.
- A Lead is converted into a Contact record. In this case, the both the UTM First Touch and UTM Last Touch fields on the Contact will be inherited from the converted Lead.
Note: The UTM First Touch section will not update if subsequent submissions with UTM values are made. It will only update for the first submission.
The UTM Last Touch section contains only the Source and Campaign values as the other UTM values are best used for identifying how a Lead/Contact was initially generated. This section will be populated/updated if:
- An existing Lead/Contact without UTM values submits a form with UTM values. In this case, the UTM Last Touch fields will populate with the UTM values from that submission.
- Any subsequent form submissions are made for a Lead/Contact with UTM values. This helps to show that Lead/Contact's latest interaction.
In addition, the UTM Campaign field will link to a Campaign Name or Campaign Code if a matching record is found. If no matching Campaign Name or Campaign Code is found in CRM, then this field will not be linked to a Campaign record and will only display text.
|Feature Added: 2023.02|
|Feature Updated: 2023.02
|ClickDimensions Version Needed: 2023.02